ABM (NYSE: ABM) is a leading provider of facility solutions with revenues of approximately $6.4 billion and over 130,000 employees in 300+ offices deployed throughout the United States and various international locations. ABM's comprehensive capabilities include electrical & lighting, energy solutions, facilities engineering, HVAC & mechanical, janitorial, landscape & turf, mission critical solutions and parking, provided through stand-alone or integrated solutions. Founded in 1909, ABM provides custom facility solutions in urban, suburban and rural areas to properties of all sizes - from schools and commercial buildings to hospitals, data centers, manufacturing plants and airports.
Job Type/ FLSA Status
10 - 20%
The Project Engineer - Electrical Power Distribution Systems will work in a team environment on greenfield (that is, new) and brownfield (that is, upgrade or redevelopment) projects on various 0.480 kV through 34.5 kV (and occasionally higher voltage distribution) overhead and underground distribution power systems. The type of electrical power distribution system
may be from any of the following groups: electrical utility; government; municipality; institutional; industrial; and, commercial. The Project Engineer will conduct high-quality pre-engineering functions, engineering studies, engineering analysis, engineering documentation creation, technical presentations, internal engineering update meetings, and external
client-facing update meetings - applying all required standards, relevant industry recommendations, and best practices -throughout the lifecycle of each project. The Project Engineer will also advise and coordinate engineering efforts with field services on site data collection and validation functions, in addition to working with the engineering sales and project management teams to ensure that the provided engineering service is meeting or exceeding client expectations - while staying within budgetary, scope, and schedule constraints. Job Responsibilities
- Perform advanced engineering studies as part of engineering deliverables on small to large projects with varying degrees of complexity for Low Voltage (LV), Medium Voltage (MV) and Sub-Transmission (ST) power systems. Prepare all engineering calculations and technical communication (including documentation) following the required regulatory standards and regulations, applying sound engineering judgement in conformity with applicable industry best-practices, and in accordance with internal Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QAQC) metrics.
- Perform engineering studies as a primary function (and occasionally as an advisory support function) in one or more of the following practice domains:
- Arc Flash Hazard Analysis.
- Power Quality and Harmonic Analysis.
- Cable Sizing Analysis.
- Cable Testing Analysis.
- DC Battery Sizing Analysis.
- Grounding Analysis.
- Transient Motor Starting Analysis.
- Power System Protection Analysis, including Protective Device Setting & Configuration, for LV, MV or ST power systems: Work in this practice domain includes but is not limited to short-circuit analysis; protection coordination analysis; multifunction device configuration & setting, and, or electromechanical device settings (for less modernized power systems or facilities), etc.
- Power System Design Engineering: Work in this domain includes small to major equipment upgrades or replacements, e.g. power transformers, instrument transformers, circuit breakers, protective relays, monitoring devices, etc.
- Renewable Energy Resource (RER) / Distributed Energy Resource (DER) Integration Analysis.
- Financial Analysis and Valuation of RER projects - particularly solar, wind and energy storage.
- Provide online/on-call support to a variety of field service functions including data collection; collected data validation; electrical system circuit tracing; electrical system inspection.
- Stay current on industry trends related to assigned or cultivated practice domains and ensure that (in addition to industry best practices and internal departmental or corporate guidelines) the most recent, up-to-date standards and guidelines are used on every project - notably, NERC, OSHA, NESC, NFPA, IEEE, and ANSI.
- Participate in the developments of internal technical training programs, technical guideline resources, and engineering philosophy documentation to support engineering preparedness and work performance consistency in domain engineering deliverables for ongoing and future projects - and, also for domain engineering knowledge retention and knowledge transfer.
- Develop, prepare and disseminate project communications - including reports, presentations, and other visualizations - to demonstrate and clearly articulate technical findings and project status updates to internal and external stakeholders (e.g., clients).
- Support the engineering sales and project management teams during the project bid proposal (e.g., providing engineering cost estimates), project scoping, project planning, and project closure stages.
- Support and coordinate with the engineering sales and project management teams to ensure that contractual objectives and project performance goals are being met, respectively - particularly, working within project scope and budget boundaries, and ensuring that any scope expansion is proactively identified and contractually accounted for with the client.
- Participate in the development, management and regular maintenance of project execution schedules.
- Demonstrate professionalism, cordiality and good manners when dealing with other staff and clients.
- Possibly remote.
Minimum Requirements Base Qualifications:
All levels, that is, Levels 1, 2, 3 & 4.
- Authorization to work in the United States*
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical & Computer Engineering from an ABET accredited program.
- Undergraduate degree studies must include sufficient studies (that is, a minimum of 2 to 3 courses) in electrical power systems - delving into one or more of the following areas: design, analysis, protection, operation, generation, and renewable energy.
- Academic familiarity with power system simulation tools for Load-Flow studies and Short-Circuit studies - particularly SKM, ETAP, ASPEN.
- Strong computer skills - Microsoft Suite, e.g., Word, Outlook, etc.; Computational Analysis Software, e.g., MATLAB, Mathcad, SAS, Microsoft Excel, etc.; Coding/Programming, e.g., Python, Visual Basic, C/C++, etc., and other computer skills that can enhance project work organization, effectiveness and efficiency.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills, along with strong audio-visual in-person and remote presentation skills.
- Ability to work methodically in quantitative and qualitative, problem-solving team environments.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and emotional intelligence skills.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate crucial conversations.
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to technical excellence, and able to work collaboratively as well as independently.
- Must have a valid United States driver's license.
- Willingness to travel up to 20%, depending on the need, and limited by any company-wide ordinance relating to corporate traveling.
For Levels 2, 3 & 4
Further Additional Qualifications:
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam - also called the Engineer-In-Training (EIT) exam - is strongly desired.
- Possession of the Professional Engineer (PE) license is desired.
- Industry experience in conducting electrical power system studies for LV, MV and/or ST power systems is strongly desired.
- Experience using SKM Power Tools for engineering or academic studies is required, and a working familiarity with ETAP is very strongly desired.
- Knowledgeable of current NEC, NFPA-70E, Electrical Classifications, IEEE/ANSI and other applicable current design standards and guidelines.
For Levels 3 & 4
- FE/EIT certificate of completion is required.
- PE license is preferred.
- Advanced/graduate engineering degree, majoring in electrical power systems, is preferred.
- Minimum of three to six years of relevant industry experience is preferred.
- Experiential competency, proficiency or expertise in multiple practice domains is preferred.
- Ability to drive and/or support client-facing business development efforts is strongly desired.
* NOTE: There is no provision for sponsorship for work authorization for this position. You must have valid
authorization to work in the United States. If your current authorization will require sponsorship on the part of this
company, you will not be considered for employment opportunities
Atlanta, GA 30305 US (Primary)
ABM is an EOE (M/F/Vet/Disability/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation)
California Consumers Notice http://www.abm.com/californiaprivacy